11.18.2015

How to Get Rid of Toxic Friends

Toxic Friends. We have all had them, I’ve had them, and you’ve had them. It’s something everyone is going to have to deal with at least once in his or her life. You have this friend. You love them. You start spending a lot of time together.  You make tons of memories; take lots of pictures and you start having a wonderful friendship that other people couldn’t possibly understand, right? It’s all fine, dandy, and great. You’re happy; you finally found a friend who you can be yourself around and who loves you for who you are.

But what happens when things start going south? You don’t notice at first. They start “making fun” of the things you’re most insecure about. They start ditching you. They start saying, “are you really going to wear that? Lol ” or “your roots really need to get done haha”. Maybe they start doing drugs or drinking more, more than you’re used to seeing them doing. They insist that they’re okay, don’t worry about it, what’s one more drink?

In my case, it happened so quickly I didn’t even know what was happening until it was already over. It started with the (his) second arrest. Then I defended our mutual friend when things started turning sour. Then things spiraled out of control more than I ever thought they could. Long story short: someone who used to be my best friend, someone who I would come to when I was upset, or mad, or scared or bored completely turned on me, and everyone associated with him.

It was a long time coming. He’s been showing signs of insanity for a while. I tried to distance myself but it was hard because he lives with three of my best friends. Eventually, he went absolutely insane. Stealing people’s things, yelling at everyone he saw, writing terrible messages to everyone in the house, and just generally going crazy.

Even though it’s hard to do, ridding yourself of toxic friends is most definitely worth it. You will be so much happier, and better off if you just get rid of the negativity as soon as you see it. Here are a few tips and reminders on how:


Social Media: The first thing you need to do is delete them off Facebook, unfollow them on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. It’s going to do NO good to have to see their updates all the time and block them, so they can’t see yours.

Memories: Know and recognize that memories will creep up. And that’s okay. You’re going to miss them. You’re going to miss the times you had together. But it’s not worth the stress and putting yourself in danger by being around them.

Pictures: If you have pictures with them around your rom or something, take them down. It’s only going to make the “memories” above worse.

Reconnecting: No matter what happens, don’t become best friends with them again. They might try and woo you back. It’s not worth it. No matter what you do, you have to stick to your ground. Your happiness and well being is worth more than a so-called “friend”.

Realize: You need to realize that you’re better than the toxic person you’re trying to move on from. You don’t need the stress and negativity in your life. Focus on school, your career, your family, or whatever it is that you feel needs the most attention in your life.


Your life is going to be so much better, and you’re going to become a much better person without the toxic people in your life. Some people are never going to change, but you can make sure you are happy, healthy and okay with how things are going on in your life. You are so much better than the people who aren’t lifting you up and making you a better person. One step at a time! I wish you the best!

How do you get rid of toxic friends?

19 comments :

  1. I've recently been experiencing some "toxic" friends! Hoping to remove them from my life as soon as possible! xx, kenz http://sincerelykenz.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've definitely had some toxic friends before.
    I have such a hard time letting go of people but sometimes its just necessary.

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a really difficult time shutting people out even when I should. I think you can sometimes reconnect with toxic friends but only after a substantial period of time (like a year or more). There needs to be time for both parties to breathe and grow before possibly reconnecting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! This is so seriously important. I've been working on this this year, and though you're right, the memories still do creep up- and I'm happy that we had those good memories, but cutting them out of my life was so important and I don't regret it in the slightest.

    Courtney//As We Stumble Along

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great post, I recently got rid of all of the toxic people in my life.
    www.kayleighskloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so needed this right now! It's time to let go of people who don't build me up and uplift me. Great post!

    X,
    Cristina
    cristinaoncampus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's super important to delete negative people out of your life! Great post!
    with southern grace,
    Lindsey
    www.withsoutherngrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post and toxic friends serve as such great life lessons. Its hard to think about them as a positive thing when you're in the middle of the friendship, but taking time to reflect after really opens your eyes!!

    http://thealwaysblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been dealing with this and trying to get rid of these people. I am at a point in my life where I need to care a little more about the people I surround myself with. I hate feeling bad because of my friends.

    Nicole // Chronicling Home

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great post. I think everyone has been in a toxic relationship at some point in their life, whether with a friend or boyfriend/girlfriend! I could definitely relate and these tips are so helpful!

    xo Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  11. This actually resonates with me so much. I've recently rid myself of a few toxic friends, and in order to make me feel better and like I got proper closure, I wrote them long letters explaining my true feelings and let that be it. I feel so much better, and I've already been so much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've definitely dealt with my share of toxic friends and I think it's important to talk about steps to get rid of those friends that just can't be helped. This is a great post and I hope it helps someone out there realize that sometimes you just have to let go of someone if they are being a toxic influence in your life. Thanks for sharing! xx Merisa | Monogrammed Magnolias

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the hardest time letting go of toxic friends. I find it hard to phase them out of my life completely. It's more like a very slow withdrawal. Having them off of social media definitely helps though.

    Alessandra | blog.pumpup.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mm. Great post. When it comes to social media, though, I take a different approach. I don't delete them because I don't want to give them the satisfaction of saying that I "unfriended them on faceook" I either wait for them to do it or just ignore their posts.

    xo,
    Sara Kate Styling

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure we all have some toxic people in our lives and need to heed this advice

    -Morgan
    How 2 Wear It [] http://how2wearit.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Toxic friends are the worst... and I agree. It's best to just rip the bandaid off and eliminate any and all contact. You gotta do what's best for you always!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.thediaryofadebutante.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is sadly, so true! My best friend and I had a major falling out a few years ago, and we have since rekindled our friendship but I REALLY struggle with our friendship because I feel like she isn't invested in our friendship the way she was before!

    Friendships in general are so hard! Good for you for completely disconnecting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been recently going through something like this. I THOUGHT that two of my best friends would support me through anything, but when I had something major happen in my life and didn't speak to them for a few weeks they said that I "ditched" them and our friendship has been broken ever since, when it was a medical problem. I've deleted them from everything.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've definitely had one too many toxic friends in my life. Without going into major detail, I'll just say I had a huge trauma last year and none of my friends were there for me. Worse than that, if they had been better friends, it would have never happened.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...